Choosing the best PDQ machine for your business is an important part of setting up credit card processing, and the kind of terminals you need depends very much on the kind of business in which you operates. Countertop PDQ machines are best if you take payments at your till, portable PDQ machines if you take payments at customer locations such as restaurant tables, and mobile PDQ machines for taking payments on the go such as fast food deliveries and taxi services.
There is also a variation between technologies and processing speeds. PDQ machines that connect to your payment processor via a landline can be much slower that those that connect via broadband; we all know the difference between virtually instant processing and having to wait several minutes for the payment to go through.
You should also be aware that certain merchant service suppliers only provide specific PDQ machine brands and models, so your choices may be restricted.
Here we compare a range of chip and pin machines that are all well regarded by the industry.
Countertop PDQ Machines
These can be the simplest kind of chip and pin machines, though many models are able to accept contactless payments.
- Hypercom T4220 - A user friendly chip and PIN machine which downloads software updates quickly, the T4220 is a fairly chunky bit of kit which takes up more space on the countertop than its competitors.
- Ingenico ICT220 - A slenderer unit, handy for when space is at a premium. Not as technologically advanced or user friendly as the T4220 though.
- VeriFone VX510 & VeriFone VX520 - Both of these models are robust and suitable for high volumes and speedy transactions. They have large keys which makes them easy to use. They are modern looking and you can add a privacy shield for additional security.
Looking to expand your business by offering card payments?
Get Free Quotes
Portable PDQ Machines
All of these portable PDQ machines connect using either Bluetooth connectivity with a range of up to 100 metres depending on the specific environment, Wi-Fi which offers a much larger range, or GPRS connectivity. Some models offer a combination of these technologies. Portable terminals are suitable for the hospitality industry where the PDQ machine must go to the customer not the other way around.
- Hypercom M4240 - As is typical of the brand, this is a robust terminal that will endure a considerable amount of abuse. Easy to use, durable and this model sports long range Bluetooth for larger premises.
- VeriFone VX670 - This is a standard size machine which is easy to use. It can use either Bluetooth of Wi-Fi for added flexibility.
- VeriFone VX675 - This is one of the smallest fully functional portable PDQ machines in general use. It offers the choice of Bluetooth or GPRS connectivity and a full colour screen.
- Ingenico 930BCC - This is an excellent choice for merchants that wish to take contact-less payments. It connects through Bluetooth.
Mobile PDQ Machines
Mobile PDQ machines utilise GPRS or GSM technology to perform card transactions almost anywhere. They’re ideal for use at fairs, exhibitions or trade shows or by a mobile sales team.
- Hypercom M4230 - This connects through GPRS and can also connect to a base station through Bluetooth. It can be charges via an in-car charger so you will never be stuck with a flat battery when on the go.
- Axalto MagIC X1000 - This is a robust and chunky machine with an external aerial and can take multiple SIM cards, which provides connectivity even in weak signal locations. Originally developed for the US market, it is now available in the UK and other countries.
- Ingenico EFT 930 - This is a very popular machine with a good battery life that will process on average 160 transactions between recharge. It has a compact design and is easy to use with a roaming SIM that connects to the best available network.
These are just a few of the PDQ machines that are available currently. While all of them do an excellent job and provide high level security, the models that are best for your business will depend on a range of factors. For more information on this, simply complete the quote form and we will provide you with free no-obligation quotes from leading UK PDQ machine suppliers.
Get Free Quotes