Planning an event can be quite stressful as there are so many details to take care of. The first decision you’ll have to make is whether to do it yourself or to hire an event planner agency to assist you with planning and execution. If it is a small event, you can probably manage it yourself, but if it is a large one, it might be a good idea to consider hiring a professional to do the planning for you. That is, of course, if you can afford to hire one!
Let’s take a closer look at these options.
Doing It Yourself
Managing an event is a lot of hard work. You must have the creativity, versatility, connections and the time to do it. You’ll need to sort out every little detail, from the venue to the food to sending out invitations.
Here are the advantages of managing the event yourself:
- You’ll save a lot of money, as hiring an event planner can be very costly.
- You have full control over everything.
- If you have an innate talent in coordinating an event, then this task could be very rewarding. This may even help in honing your organisational and planning skills.
Here are the disadvantages of doing the event yourself:
- You won’t have any helping hands. You are alone in handling all the necessary planning to make the event a success, which can be very demanding.
- You won’t have the access that professional event managers have to resources and contacts who can provide you with the materials that you need.
- If certain things get out of hand and fall behind schedule, there’s a possibility that the event can get cancelled or postponed as you won’t have anyone to cover for you.
- This could drain your energy to the last drop and you won’t even be able to enjoy the event.
- Expect many troubles before and during the event which you may not be able to fix by yourself every time.
- You might go over your budget, especially if you don’t have the connections that can help you get discounts.
Hiring an Agency
If you don’t have the time but have enough money, you can hire an event planner agency to help you plan, organise and execute the event.
Here are the advantages of hiring an agency:
- You can save a lot of time. Professionals are used to working to a fixed deadline. They can work under a lot of pressure and have the resources to get helping hands if needed.
- Event planners have good connections. They can find the perfect venue, the best caterers and entertainers, and the right decorations for your event a lot more quickly than you can.
- Event planners are good at sticking to the budget.
- They’re good at drawing up contingency plans so if any problems turn up, you can still be assured that your event will go on as scheduled.
Disadvantages of hiring an agency:
- An agency will cost you a lot. There is a minimum budgetary requirement of £5,000 and the event management fee is usually 10% of the total cost.
- If you’re in a rush, you might find the process of selecting the right event manager quite stressful. This is a very important step, however, as hiring an inexperienced event manager can lead to disastrous results for your event. It’s always a good idea to narrow your choices down to event management agencies who have plenty of experience and satisfied customers behind them.
Let Approved Index help you find the best Event Management company for your business.